links open in new window

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Zombie Science...



An earnest, thought-provoking...and totally off-the-wall question:
After watching Dawn of the Dead, I am left to wonder about one thing: If we were to suffer an apocalypse where most of the living became flesh-eating zombies, how long, assuming I survived, would I continue to receive hydroelectricity from my power company? Is it a mean-time-before-failure situation, or would the system automatically shut itself down after a few days? (I am assuming that most of the people who were supposed to be maintaining things at my hydro company would be out looking for brains, and that the surviving hydro employees would be busy digging shelters, etc.) Also, what's the outlook like for people whose chunk of the power grid is supplied by coal, nuclear, and other types of energy? Just wondering how many solar panels I should be putting on my roof! — Jason, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Leaving aside the thought that I'd really like to have some of whatever Jason's probably been taking (or smoking)...

{insert ominous, yet vaguely triumphal, organ music here}

Would it surprise you to know the answer to that question? Or that the question can (or should) even be answered?

Fear not! Only The Straight Dope would dare to reveal the horrible truth!!!

{end ominous, yet vaguely triumphal organ music}

[Note: I found the link to this in the July 29th posting over at Plan Nine Publishing...and even as I type these words...a very spiffy thunderstorm has just rolled over Vancouver...]