links open in new window

Thursday, August 19, 2004

The New Curse of the Cat People...



Being one of the "cat people" myself (even though I'm quite allergic to them), I can appreciate Barry Link's POV in this weeks Vancouver Courier:
...as I was sitting at my desk in the newspaper office, a chihuahua ran under my feet. I was reasonably surprised, because in my adult work life I've noticed chihuahuas seldom run under my feet as I'm sitting at my desk in my office. In fact, they never do. Because the little animal running under my desk was a chihuahua, which is to say, really, really small, I thought for a second it was a rat, which would be a more likely animal to make an appearance in a newspaper office. Wandered over from sales, perhaps.

It turned out the dog belonged to a customer visiting the classified ads desk in an adjoining part of the building. The customer had brought the dog into the building with her and put it on the floor. True to form, the little chihuahua concluded, "I'm a chihuahua. I'm so very cute, tiny and brainless. I think, as much I am capable of thinking, that I'll run somewhere I've never been and hide under a complete stranger's feet."

And so it did. As the dog hid under my desk, I said to my colleagues, "Hey, it's a r-, I mean a dog."

The customer came and collected the poochette. "That's a small dog," I said. "It weighs five and a half pounds," she replied.

And I thought: Wow, my cat could eat your dog. With a nice little snack left over. And that's when it hit me: the world is going to hell if my cat can eat your dog.
You can read the whole thing here.

(Meow!)