links open in new window

Thursday, August 26, 2004

A mea culpa (of sorts)...


Since posting the item about the heterosexual march and sending a heads-up to John over at AMERICAblog about it (while I may not have been the only one to e-mail him on this, I do thank him for his "thank you" reply), John posted the item and since then there has been at least one response from the station (hey, he gets way more readers than I do!). Read the station's response (as well as the rest of the comments in the stream), and then carry on. I'll still be here...
...
...
...
...

Okay, I think I may have over-reacted a bit on this one, so I can cut the station a bit of slack on it. I'll admit that the satirical nature claimed for the event in the response wasn't, at least for me, evident in the webpage - not being a local listener of the station I have no idea as to how they are portraying the event in their on-air advertising, so the webpage was all I had to go on.

What I perceived from the webpage (as many gay people might) was the attitude of exclusion from this event of gays by straights. Just one more example of oppressive straight society.

What I forgot is that we gays and lesbians (and, yes, bisexuals too) can be (and often are) just as exclusionist in our attitudes towards the straight community. That is one minor reason why I don't attend many Gay Pride parades (the main reason is I just don't like being in large crowds of people).

Given the general emotional tenor (usually an ugly one) of the gay rights/marriage/whatever debate in the U.S. (and in Canada, too) these days, satire can very easily be missed. The 'beaver + "synonym for rooster"' t-shirt doesn't strike me as being particularly funny, but the "Flaming Heterosexual" t-shirt does. Perhaps it's because I prefer the kind of humour that allows one to not take oneself too seriously. (Case in point: I may be gay, but I can still appreciate beauty - of any kind - in a woman. I refer to this as my "latent lesbian tendencies.")

So for now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope that their parade will be a small step to the good...

Maybe in the future, when our species grows up, we will no longer need to have parades "celebrating" our particular tribal affiliations (sexual, racial, or otherwise). We'll all just be normal.

Call it "People Pride"...
"Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." - George Bernard Shaw
'Scuse me while I go cancel that call for rain in Raleigh...